There was no cover up at the ‘highest levels’ over the Benghazi consulate bombing. There were mixed reports, with motive playing catch up to official statements. This all about Wingnut America feeling victimized and wronged for being publicly castigated by decent people for standing behind Terry Jones and his release of an anti-Muhammad “movie” depicting the life of The Prophet Muhammad as it is inside the foaming minds of the Christian right.
Fact is, that video put Americans in danger and caused rioting in Egypt. In Cairo, they were vandalizing and climbing the walls of the embassy in protest of that video. It was not unreasonable to assume at the time that the attacks on the consulate in Benghazi, described as “a flash mob with weapons,” were more than escalating protests. But even so, the administration was careful not to speak in absolutes, using phrases like, “based on the best information we have to date…” and we do not have information at present that leads us to conclude that this was premeditated or preplanned.”
But, no, no, no. Right wing America will not let this stand because no one is going to blame them for inciting violence at home and abroad! No one! These idiot-colors don’t run!
And why not? They should know a little something about cover ups at “the highest levels,” but this just ain’t one of them.
Here are some of the most obvious, blatant cover ups and fuck ups at “the highest levels” that Republicans and the American media may have missed:
1) The cover up and virtual disappearing of the memo: “Bin Laden Determined To Attack Inside The United States.” The memo discussed flying hijacked planes into key U.S. landmarks.
2) These words: “The British Government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa.” Cooked up intelligence spoon fed to the American people during the prime time State of The Union Address to cover up the fact that Saddam Hussein was not harboring WMDs.
3) The cover up of the death of Pat Tillman. Bush’s Pentagon needed a hero, they used Pat Tillman as propaganda. Ask the Tillmans what they think about that sometime.
4) The cover up of the facts surrounding “the first American POW to be rescued since the Vietnam War,” Jessica Lynch. Another guns-a-blazin’ American hero for the face of Bush’s exhaustive list of war cover ups who turned out to be just a wounded soldier being treated in an Iraqi hospital.
5) The cover up of the abuses at Abu Ghraib, where Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld’s policy in the Middle East led to captive prisoners being stacked in man piles and walked around on leashes.
6) The covering up of torture, the memos that described new and improved ways to torture, secret CIA prisons, rendition– Policies that were instituted by intellectually-violent members of the Bush family in clear violation of the Geneva convention and our very own Army Field Manual.
7) The costs of the invasion and occupation of Iraq. Early estimates from right wing conservatives put the costs in the $50-60 billion range. When factoring long term costs just to us, the figure begins to settle in the $3.7 trillion range. They were off by over $3 trillion.
8) “Mission Accomplished.” This was a cover up. Almost literally, the banner was used to cover up all that death and dying and future debt that was still going on behind it.
9) Bush and Cheney’s secret testimony to the 9/11 Commission: A whitewash of hundreds of false statements and assertions. Neither of their statements were under oath, and were taken together, as they insisted. Bush called it a “private meeting” and described the experience of rehashing the events of 9/11 as such: “It was wide-ranging, it was important, it was just a good discussion, he said.”
10) We can reserve this space for just about anything at this point. We’ve focused on just a handful of major foreign policy decisions that will cost hundreds of thousands of lives when God sorts them all out. We could talk about the Bush/Cheney administration’s policy of hiding the coffins returning from his war, or the cover up of civilian deaths, or the illegal use of white phosphorus.
We could have discussed Dick Cheney’s secret energy task force, or the 22 million emails disappeared by the Bush/Cheney White House related to Karl Rove firing seven United States Attorneys that he felt weren’t doing enough to build a permanent majority that involved bringing down Acorn.
There is a whole $300 million library in Dallas intended to cover up all of these purposeful cover ups, but because Right Wing America feels victimized over their support for these dip shit Terry Jones types who incite violence at home and around the world, they refuse to take “fuck you, assholes!” as a sign that they are ever in the wrong.
The Republican party has been covering up for cover ups and war crimes for over a decade. Unprecedented actions were taken to preserve the lies and cover ups, still, to this day.
In the grand scheme of things, the attack on Benghazi is a blessing for Republicans who have been utterly disappointed by what they consider to be “the most corrupt in history!” They’re wearing the old blue dress. Every one of them take their turns wearing it like Norman Bates at Bridesmaid fitting.
I just hope wearing that old number brings them closer to knowing what it’s like to suck it.