We know the migrants walking from Central America to our southern border with Mexico to ask for political asylum are not a threat, nor were they a threat when a similar caravan made the same trek last year, but the Trump regime also apparently knows it's not a threat.
According to defense officials who spoke to CNBC, the Pentagon concluded that the caravan is not a threat.
Critics have called the deployment a political stunt. Defense Secretary James Mattis, however, downplayed that criticism last week. "The support that we provide to the secretary for Homeland Security is practical support based on the request from the commissioner of customs and border police. We don't do stunts in this department," he said Wednesday.
A Pentagon risk assessment found that the caravan did not pose a threat to the United States, according to a person with direct knowledge of U.S. intelligence. This person also said that the caravan would take about a month and a half to get to the U.S. border. [...]
The Pentagon and White House did not immediately respond to CNBC's request for comment.
If you were watching Sunday Night Football on NBC last night, you may have seen the insanely racist ad Trump produced calling on Americans to vote for Republicans to stop the caravan which (according to the Trump's ad) is full of cop killers.
The assessment hasn't been released to the public, but we now know the Trump regime has privately concluded that the caravan is not a threat even if they're saying something else entirely in public.
NBC has apologized for running Trump's racist ad, but it's a little late for that.
Fox News also pulled Trump's ad today, which says a lot.