Supermajority of Americans Support Liberal Policies

The new Washington Post/Bloomberg poll proves that Americans -- even Republican voters -- support liberal economic policies.

More than two-thirds of Americans, including a majority of Republicans, say wealthier people should pay more in taxes to bring down the budget deficit, and even larger numbers think Medicare and Social Security benefits should be left alone.

So naturally many of these people will vote for a Republican presidential candidate who is opposed to all of this.


Too many Americans are dumbstupids.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Lee Atwater destroyed the word “liberal” for generations to come. Even today, in 2011, no one wants to admit to being a “liberal.” Republicans still win votes by labeling their Democratic opponents as “the most liberal [insert candidate’s current office here] in the country.”

    Even self-identified conservatives know, although they will never admit it publicly, that while a lot more people self-identify as “conservative” than “liberal,” when asked about specific policy preferences, a lot more people take the “liberal” side than the “conservative” side. Labels matter more than substance.

    • holyreality

      “Was it Dick Van Patten or Kierkegaard who said, ‘when you label me, you negate me?’ “

  • Maybe it will take suffering, starvation, riots under a Dumbstupid President Perry (after the first 2 yrs of blaming it on Obama gets old) to be able to enlighten the masses.

    • villemar

      That never ends well, things just become exponentially shittier for another generation, 30 years or so, then people have a moment of electoral clarity which they then proceed to royally fuck up. Rinse, repeat.

  • trgahan

    Unfortunetly, it doesn’t matter what 2/3 of the American population wants, it only matters what 2/3 of consistent and politically active voters want. Right now, that population leans right to far right. Dumbstupids or not, Republicans seem to be able to count on their turn outs most elections, while it takes massive “get out the vote” efforts just to pull Democrats even.
    Why do you think the sudden state level Tea Party interest in “voting reform” that targets polling place restrictions and voter registraiton?

  • I want to poll to see what percentage of Americans at least moderately believe that they’ll become millionaires at some point in their life. I really think that’s part of the problem.

  • dildenusa

    An excellent post appeared this morning in byMichael Lind of the New America Foundation about how the democratic party is unable to use the occupy Wall Street movement as a populist vehicle to challange the tea party republic populism.

    President Obama’s election strategy is already evident. Amplify these kinds of poll results to point out to the dumbasses that a tea party republic administration and congressional takeover will simply make things worse. Of course there will be a hard core 30% of voters who will mark that tea party republic ballot simply out of ignorance. But what about the other 70%. The number of independent and non-party voters is at an all time high.

    I still have a hard time wrapping my brain around the followers of firedoglake and their ilk. I have it in my favorites but I never read it. It’s bogus.

  • It’s also the abortion thing–it’s become their Prohibition-like rallying cry and allows conservatives unlimited corruption. It does not matter how good and sane is the opposing side if the candidate is prochoice. Prochoice will drown out the message and conservatives will vote prolife, even if they don’t believe the propaganda because they feel it is their moral duty. Now how prolifers can endorse the death penalty is a mystery to me…

    • dildenusa

      It’s mostly the GOD squad that love killing off prisoners. You know, all that Biblical nonsense about vengance. So it becomes natural to project the power of GOD onto the state prison apparatus.

  • Ned F

    And even in spite of this super majority, the conservadems will buck their own party and not support the president’s jobs bill. It won’t pass because of the usual Republican filibuster anyway, but show some party unity folks.